Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The things we do...

If you are squeamish about reading things called periods, or are easily embarrassed...I suggest you skip reading this post.

So today I went to see my GP (Dr Pippa MacKay - she is fantastic!).  The genetic specialist I saw last week said that my GP needs to refer Malc and I to the Fertility Associates.  Plus I have a couple of other issues to bring up with Dr MacKay.

As Malc and I do not want to get pregnant naturally (in case I pass on my condition), I am on the contraceptive pill.  Last year I had to take myself off the pill for a few months to have antenatal tests done.  Ever since I have gone back on the pill my periods have been awful...really heavy.  They usually arrive on my third day on the red (sugar) pill.  However, last week (while halfway through white pills) my period arrived..and 11 days later it is still there!  I went to see Dr Mackay to see if this was okay.  She said it was probably just hormones, and to see her again if it doesn't stop.  She also said that next week when I begin my red pills my period will still happen - just dandy!

Anyway...Dr MacKay also said that she will pre-empt what the Fertility Associates would request (vaginal swabs) and do them today.  But I have my period, don't I?  Instead I have been given two impossibly  long swab thingies (which resemble giant cotton buds) so that I can swab myself when my period eventually (and hopefully) finishes.  What fun!

Just as well I took my big handbag along with me!  Not something I want to put on display when walking out of the doctors office, I tell you!

1 comment:

  1. Pip is my doc as well and she's great!

    Cherie R

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.