Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Our first appointment

As per previous post, Malcolm and I met our specialist at Fertility Associates - Dr Sarah Wakeman.  She seemed lovely.

We discussed our options:
1.  Trusting nature.
2.  IVF - GPD.
3.  Egg Donor

We were also made aware that my AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone) is quite low.  Testing this hormone helps to predict how many eggs I am likely to obtain in an IVF cycle.  Not the best news...

While there I was treated to my first internal ultra-sound (Malcolm was suddenly quite silent when he saw the instrument used for the ultra-sound!).  We were both allowed to see the screen depicting the ultra-sound...which wasn't useful for us (it was a black/white snowy picture).  Evidently the Dr could pick out my ovaries and measure them (they looked like dark splodges).

I think I have mentioned earlier that Canterbury only funds 4 IVF-GPD cases a year and we seem to be about 12th on the list...not the best news either.  Dr Wakeman seemed to think the Ministry of Health may change the funding rules in Canterbury...but she didn't sound too convinced.

Egg donor isn't an easy concept in NZ either.  Woman don't just donate their eggs in this country (there is no financial benefit).  So if we decide to take the egg donor option, we need to advertise for a donor.

Since our appointment I have had my AMH tested again, and it's dropped to a level 2.6 (previously it was a level 3.1).  This means I have a very likely reduced ovarian reserve, and a 20% chance of 6 or more eggs in an IVF round.  Ideally I need more than a 80% chance of 6 or more eggs in an IVF cycle (at least a level 10).  Another set back.

My initial reaction is for Malcolm and I to try to conceive naturally and take the 50% risk of passing my condition on.  Malcolm is more reluctant.  I can certainly sympathise...ask me any other day and I feel the same.  I just don't want to be responsible for passing on my condition...especially if our child has my condition in a worse way.

We have some thinking to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.